A key component of effective and conversion-worthy marketing, call-to-action (CTA) copy is used in a variety of places across the digital marketing landscape to help guide audiences toward a particular objective or action. A marketing message usually ends with CTA copy, typically appearing as a button, link, or sentence that instructs the reader to do something. Businesses can boost engagement, generate leads, and enhance conversions by employing clear and compelling CTA copy.
Before mastering the art of writing CTA copy that’s persuasive and action-oriented, it’s important to understand where CTA copy is used in digital marketing. Here are a few common examples to get you started:
- Filling out a contact form in exchange for a relevant asset or clicking to learn more about a product/service from a paid ad.
- Clicking a link to a website, booking a demo, or scheduling a meeting from an email marketing campaign.
- Asking a question to engage with your audience or clicking a shoppable product link from a social media post.
- Getting in contact by completing a form or being encouraged to make a purchase from a website landing page.
Now that we’ve uncovered the common places where CTA copy is used in digital marketing, let’s take a closer look at some best practices for writing effective CTA copy that can help drive conversions and achieve business goals.
- Make it clear and concise: Effective CTA copy is both clear and succinct with a compelling, action-oriented message. Use active verbs and avoid vague language that can confuse or mislead your audience.
- Use urgency and scarcity: To encourage your audience to take action, create a sense of urgency or scarcity in your CTA copy. This can be done by using phrases such as “limited-time offer” or “while supplies last”.
- Offer a benefit: To entice your audience to take action, make sure to offer a clear benefit or value proposition. This can help them see the value in taking the action you’re asking for.
- Use emotional triggers: Emotions can be a powerful motivator in getting your audience to take action. Use emotional triggers such as fear of missing out (FOMO) or the desire to belong to create a sense of urgency and encourage action.
- Consider the placement and design: The placement and design of your CTA can also have a big impact on its effectiveness. Make sure your CTA is prominently displayed and stands out visually, with contrasting colors or bold text.
- Test and optimize: Finally, to ensure the effectiveness of your CTA copy, test different variations to see what works best with your audience. Use A/B testing or other analytics tools to track clicks, conversions, and other metrics.
Optimizing CTAs for different stages of the customer journey is essential for maximizing engagement and conversions. Here’s how to do it:
- Awareness Stage: At this stage, customers are just becoming aware of a problem or need that they have. CTAs should be designed to attract attention and encourage further exploration. Keep it simple, be informative, use visual cues, and use action-oriented language.
- Consideration Stage: Here, customers are considering different options and evaluating potential solutions. CTAs in this stage should be designed to provide more information and help customers make informed decisions. Use social proof, be persuasive, provide value, and address pain points.
- Conversion Stage: At this stage, customers are ready to make a purchase or take another desired action. Use urgency, be specific, offer incentives, and use a clear and visible design.
But… that’s not all. Optimizing CTAs for mobile is a critical aspect of digital marketing, as mobile devices are increasingly becoming the primary means by which people access the internet. Some tips to ensure mobile-optimized CTAs include:
- Keep it simple: Use straightforward language that is easy to read and understand, and design CTAs to be easily visible on the smaller screen.
- Use contrasting colors: Design CTAs with colors that stand out and provide contrast to the surrounding content. This helps to catch the user’s attention and guide them toward the action you want them to take.
- Make CTAs touch-friendly: Ensure that CTAs are large enough for mobile users to click on them easily. The size of the CTA button should be optimized for mobile screens, and it should be located in a prominent position to reduce the chances of accidental clicks.
To sum it all up, creating effective CTA copy is essential for businesses to drive engagement, generate leads, and increase conversions. By understanding the what, where, and why of using CTA copy in digital marketing, businesses can craft compelling messages that encourage audiences to take immediate action. With these tips in mind, you can create click-worthy CTAs that drive conversions and help your business thrive.
If you’re looking to revamp or refine your business’ marketing plan, get in touch with TribalVision to get started today!